Friday, July 25, 2008

My Completed Tafe Project.

I have just completed a 7 week Tafe course in Cake Decorating.

It was a very unstructured class, taught by a part-time teacher, (who I think had never taught cake dec before). There were a few things that I wanted to learn, which were taught in the class. So that was good.

The course covered,
- Chocolate work (ganache, piping & making a mud cake)
- Royal Icing (making & piping)
- RTR icing (colouring & how to cover a cake)

And our final project. We basically had to choose a cake of our liking, and the teacher was there to help us.
I decided I wanted to make a girls birthday style cake, (as I will have heaps of practice on boys cakes over the years). So I ended up getting some ideas online for a castle cake.
We were meant to make the cakes at Tafe, but as we were running out of time, we made them at home.
The cakes I had to cook them separately, as they had to go on the centre shelf in the oven, and my oven wasn't large enough to do a 10" & a 7" together.

So anyway, this is the final result.

It was a good learning cake, although I probably should have chosen something a bit simpler. It has quite a few mistakes, but overall I am happy with the result.

9 comments:

charlie said...

wow thats fantastic...amazing.. welldone..fabulous work!(charlie)

Kate said...

Charlie's right, that is an amazing cake, Kat!

You passed, right?! Just kidding!

Well done!

Nina said...

Wow, what a gorgeous cake!!! Were your children impressed?

Kat said...

Thanks for all your nice comments!
Nina, I only have one son and he is 8.5 months old.

~*Amanda*~ Mum to Amelia and Eamon said...

Gorgeous work Kat like always

so how did it taste ;) i'm sure even nicer then it looks.

Kat said...

I haven't eaten it Amanda, not really a fan of fruit cake, my plan is to actually pull it apart, and give the cake to my parents. I originally wanted to use mud cake, but it wouldn't have stayed fresh for the 5 weeks we took to decorate it.

marae said...

wow looks so amazing..! what are the tall turrets made of? those would be so fun as small cylinder cakes!

Kat said...

Thanks Mara,
The turrets were made from pastillage, which I made.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's unbelieveable, you must have some great patience! Welcome to the Daring Bakers!