Monday, July 14, 2008

My Chocolate Fix

I was having a bad day, wondering what I was going to do with myself this week, knowing I was house bound with Harrison being contagious. And I thought, I need chocolate. I actually would of been quite happy with a hot chocolate drink, but, I had no milk. So I thought, Mmmm cookies.

I have made every type of cookie, in my recipe file, and nothing jumped out as chocolaty enough.
So I googled Chocolate Cookie, and this one jumped out.


Adapted by me.

Ingredients

225 grams dark chocolate (roughly chopped)
80 grams margarine
2/3 cup plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs
3/4 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
340 grams dark chocolate chips
Method
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 degrees Celsius fan - forced)
2. Place chocolate (225 gram amount) and margarine, into a microwave save bowl, and heat on high in 20 second increments, stirring in between, until almost melted, do not overheat, (mine took 80 seconds all up).
3. In another bowl, sift flour & baking powder.
4. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar & vanilla on high speed until light and fluffy.





5. Add melted chocolate and beat on low speed until combined.



6. Add in flour mixture, and stir with a spatula until just combined, stir in chocolate chips.



7. Drop tablespoons of dough 2-3 inches apart onto lined baking sheets.


8. Bake for 12 minutes, rotating sheets half way through, until cookies are shiny and crackly, yet soft in the centre.
9. Cool on sheets for 10 minutes, then transfer to racks to cool completely.




The finished product.


Notes:
- Chocolate chips (I didn't have any, so I used a combination of block chocolate, and couveture) chopped up.
- The original recipe had salt, which I used in mine, but it left a salty aftertaste, not what I wanted in a cookie.
- You will need a spatula to lift cookies off sheets.
- I was a little disappointed with the shape of the cooked cookie, I prefer a smaller higher cookie, which is chewy in the centre. But even though this cookie was large and flat, it somehow remained chewy, Yay!

So at the moment, this is my Absolute Favourite Cookie.
Adam came home and ate 3, so they must be good, as he usually thinks most of my recipes are way too chocolaty.

No comments: