Sunday, December 14, 2008

My Most Favourite Dessert

Growing up, this was always my favourite dessert, I made my mum make it for all of my Birthdays. I had a copy of the recipe, and I lost it quite a few years ago. Well, yesterday, whilst attempting to clean up our spare room, I found my little book of hand written recipes. I know Mum had the recipe, but have no idea of its origin. I have adapted it to make it yummier, Lol.

Choc Mint Cheesecake

Base

250 grams Nice biscuits
2 Tablespoons cocoa
90 grams margarine (melted)

Crush biscuits finely, add cocoa, mix well. Stir in melted butter. Press mixture on to the base and sides of a 9" spring form cake tin. Refrigerate.

Filling

500 grams Philadelphia cream cheese (room temperature)
2/3 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon water
1 block Peppermint chocolate ( I use Nestle Club Peppermint Dark Chocolate)
2/3 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons gelatin
2 cups thickened cream (whipped)
1 Tablespoon water (extra)

Beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth.

Sprinkle gelatin over water in a small dish. Place dish into a a larger dish, and pour hot water into larger dish. Stir gelatin until dissolved. Once dissolved remove from hot water bath, and let cool. Add to cream cheese mixture, beat well.

Fold in whipped cream.

Spoon mixture into base.

Place chocolate and extra water into a heat proof bowl (one that is bigger than a small saucepan). Place a small sauce pan onto stove, put about 2cm of water in, and boil. Once boiled turn down to low, and place bowl on top. Stir chocolate until melted, remove from stove and cool slightly.

Spoon chocolate mixture over cream cheese mixture, and swirl mixture with a spoon.

Refrigerate for 2-3 hours.

Additions

As I love peppermint, I added about 4 Tablespoons of Creme De Menthe into the cream cheese mixture, Yum Yum.
Even if your not a fan of dark choclate, please use the one specified.

No comments: